Thursday, September 16, 2010

Inauguration

I was trying really hard to watch this film and think about it in the vertical way we talked about. I was trying to find a narrative structure to the film and every time I would do this, I would try to stop and just watch it. But I did it anyway, so here is what I think happened. All of these people are in a cult of pleasure and they are all getting ready to take some kind of drug. They all experience this great feeling but it soon turns into hell. I came to this conclusion because the woman or man in black with the feathers started laughing when all the people started freaking out and this was the person who gave them the liquid that they drank.
I noticed the repetition of eating different objects. I didn't quite understand why they kept doing it but they did, so perhaps that was a ritual in the cult. I liked all the colors, outfits and masks people were wearing it was interesting. I think Anger was trying to show different personalities through the costumes. At one point I thought all the men were just the same person but different personalities. I think the opera as the background music really worked, it helped set the tone for different scenes and sequences.
I guess this film is just suppose to be art for the sake of art, and there is nothing wrong with that. When other people were talking in class right before we left and were saying "there was nothing to hook me in" I thought of the oranges and apples metaphor, this is definitely an apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment